Fear not, I'm prepared for this, just like I am for any mega snow storm. I saw that they've posted the top 5 snowfalls of all time in Chicago. I've been alive for 3 of them:
- 23.0" - Jan 26-27, 1967 (I have pix of me in a child carrier on top of a huge snowpile, I was almost 7 months old
- 21.6 - Jan 1-3, 1999 (yeah, after a hearty new year's day drunken debauchery, I remember running down the middle of Broadway in Chicago with no cars anywhere to be found and falling on my back and doing snow angels, I think in front of Ann Sather's)
- 19.2 - Mar 25-26, 1930 (hell, even before my Dad was born)
- 18.8 - Jan 13-14, 1979 (the one that cost Michael Bilandic the Mayoral race in Chicago, enter Jane Byrne)
- 16.2 - Mar 7-8, 1931 (wow March in the '30s was brutal, must have been global warming!!!)
I think the thing that'll be worse about this one is the massive winds that are supposed to accompany it. As I arrived home this evening, they were howling at around 20-25 mph and they are only supposed to get worse. That could make the drifting as high as 2.5-3.0 feet, even with only 14-16 inches, so we'll see.