Prior to bedtime he was particularly naughty. I won't go into details but let's just say that instead of staying up for another 45 minutes it was straight to bed time.
There were lots of tears and not wanting Daddy to put him to bed, but once we got settled down and I started to read it got interesting.
One of the books I was reading to him was based off of The Incredibles movie which is one that we have not seen. Bob, the Dad, at one point blew off someone named Buddy. Years later Buddy turned into an evil genius named Syndrome and tried to exact his revenge against Bob and his family.
- He asked me if "Buddy had been bad to his Mommy and Daddy".
- I said "yes".
- He then asked me if "Buddy had been bad to his doggie too".
- I said "yes"
- He immediately projected Buddy onto himself and his evening's actions.
- He then told me that he didn't want to be like Buddy and that he wanted to grow up to be a good superhero. (remember, we're in this massive Batman/Spiderman phase right now)
- I told him that "that is a great idea" and that "we want you to grow up and be a good superhero too"
It's good to see that he's recognizing his bad behaviors and then wants to make amends for what he's done.
Who knows, maybe someday WILL be a good superhero. We can only allow him to keep living his dreams.