13 September 2008

Social Networks and being 42 years old.

I'm lucky enough to be part of something called the "Future's Group" at work. Part of our job is to help stay on top of emerging technologies or ways that we can interact with our respondents as it relates to Market Research. I do love technology and continue to stay relatively an "early adopter" by most standards.

When we started, somehow I was given Social Networking as an area to watch, which, I thought was cool, but clearly the majority of users tend to be much younger than me. But I've quickly come to adopt the habits but I find that staying on top of the "next biggest thing" is getting tougher for me.

I had this moment today where I really felt "old". People are talking about Twitter and although I know what it is, I don't really have a mobile phone that will work with that. But I feel as if I'm starting to lose touch. It really started about 8 years ago when I was promoted into "management" within our company. It's really at that point that you stop getting the invites to the Happy Hours because frankly, employees use those to bitch about management and work.

Most of you know that I tend to be the man about the party when I'm there, but even having that sort of reputation, you truly just stop getting invited. Thus, I've slowly been losing touch with what's hip, happening and new and this bleeds over into this new group that I'm part of and frankly one of the older members of.

It's okay, really. I mean, I never thought I'd be able to keep up blogging (okay, I know I've been slacking as of late), and I really fought Facebook for the longest time and now, I love it. I keep LinkedIn because of professional needs and resources and if I truly had a damn mobile that I loved, well, I'd likely be doing all of this via my mobile.

But I do find the rate at which new technology comes upon us has sped up (most everyone agrees) and as such, being "older" tends to keep me a bit slower on the uptake. Jesus H. Christ on a bike, I've become my DAD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment